You are certainly not short of historic attractions within an hours drive of Hovingham! Our built heritage is marvellous and with so much on our doorstep, you'll need to keep returning to explore them all. Here are our top ten:
1. Castle Howard; Farm shop, garden centre, lake, formal gardens, stunning historic house - Castle Howard has it all!
2. York Minster; A world-class attraction that is a 'must-see' for anyone visiting Yorkshire. Breath-taking.
3. Nunnington Hall; browse the quiet banks of the River Rye, take in the organic garden and chat to the peacocks.
4. Sutton Park; Georgian Architecture, beautiful parkland and an array of house treasures to enjoy.
5. Duncombe Park; wander the gardens, nature reserve and surrounding parkland and simply relax.
6. Helmsley Walled Garden; A therapeutic vision of how gardens can help disadvantages communities and individuals.
7. Rievaulx Terrace; stroll through woods to take in a picnic and views down the terrace to the ruins of the Cistercian Rievaulx Abbey.
8. The Walled Garden at Scampston; a stunning, contemporary walled garden unlike anything you've seen!
9. Beningborough Hall and Gardens; take a rug and enjoy a cream tea on the cherry tree lawn.
10. York's City Walls; take a walk along the city walls free of charge and see the city from a whole new angle.
If you get your timing right, you may also want to visit Hovingham Hall which is open to customers during the month of June. Further historic attractions in Yorkshire can be found at www.castlesandgardens.co.uk .